Supplemental navigation works well for web properties with many top-level navigation items that are in the same category, such as a sports site with categories like Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, and so on. However, it is not mandatory that they belong to the same category. It also works well to provide a consistent navigational experience across web pages within a given site.
- We recommend using 5-10 or more top-level navigational categories.
- Use supplemental navigation to preserve screen real estate in the smaller viewports when collapsed.
- Use it for persistent navigational links in the larger viewports when expanded.
- If each link takes the user to another page, don’t link to a section within the page; only link to the top of the page. Alternatively, the entire set of links could navigate to the start of different major sections on the current page.
- Schema definition: The supplemental-navigation schema defines the acceptable configurations, requirements, and options for each module.